View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I doubt that the R8 is a better interface "than most" of current models on the market. Assuming you are looking at the popular brands, it's going to be equal to some at the bottom, but that is often more than sufficient for home recording purposes. It depends on what your expectations are.

For instance, it's limited to 2-in/out over the USB port. You don't have to go very far up the chain to find something that will support additional line inputs along with the 2 mic ins, and may have MIDI in, if you need it (e.g., you don't have a USB capable MIDI device or lack USB ports on your computer).

It's primary advantage is that it operates as a standalone, SD recorder, or maybe that's secondary, and the primary is that you already have it paid for! It also works as a control surface (though I didn't read whether it can operate as that at the same time it does as an interface, and don't know if it's an effective one, at that?) If it meets your needs as an interface, then you can certainly defer buying another one. I'd only get a new one if it's never going to be used as an SD recorder, and you and you can sell it to get some money to put toward a new interface, because as an interface use only, it's limited, never mind the amount of desk space it takes up if it's not being used as a control surface.

I would never recommend a Sampson USB mic, but that's just me.

From scanning through here a few times, I'd think it would be worth spending time first on settling on a DAW, and then working out how to get the best recording with the equipment you have. There aren't many of us that haven't rushed out to buy something to make the recording sound better, when it has not been an equipment problem at all. (So many bright, shiny things being dangled in front of us all the time, it's a tempting distraction from the recordings we have been tinkering with that still sound like poo )
The samson was an impulse buy $85 lol