View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
David,

I’m just starting with Brite Tone and I’m curious to hear from others before I invest more. What is it you didn’t like about the results? Also, what’s DD acrylic?
Well, its hard to explain, its not exactly terrible but i'm just not getting that 'deep' looking finish, i don't seem to get any more depth to it than a simple oil finish might give. I've seen plenty of other lacquers that seem to have that 'look' straight off the gun, with the final buffing and polishing just making it perfect - and as in this case I'm likely to sand it all off yet again when i decide to go back to this or when i have a gap in my Nylon Crossover build, i'm not motivated to go through the rest of the buffing process past what I tried already on it this time round

I have to apologise, DD Acrylic is apparently german phrasing. A brief search on google to actually come up with a decent explanation of what it is brings up that DD is "Desmodur® / Desmophen®" which is a registered trademark of the Bayer corporation for a Polyurethane based Polyether polyol (whatever that means) thermoplastic lacquer. It seems pretty toxic stuff, but it has exceptionally fast dry times, (like sandable in 20-30 minutes) and seems to gives that 'deep' look on the cabinets i've seen my friends do.