View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 05:42 AM

After Knives & Guitars wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
So while we are on the subject mater, I do have a small favor to ask you Wade. I know you have Schertler open back tuners on at least one guitar if I am correct? Would you be kind enough to check and see if Gotoh buttons fit on the shaft? Schertler seem to be the only reasonably priced open back tuners that have interchangeable buttons. I have been very curious about this.[/INDENT]
I replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Uh, okay. I'll check. I'll be surprised if they are interchangeable, but stranger things have happened. I've got buttons for Schaller and Grover tuners, too, and can take the button off a Seagull Ping tuner and check that, as well, while I'm at it.
Okay, I pulled out my box of tuners, got some aftermarket Gotoh tuner buttons handy, and took a small Phillipshead screwdriver to unscrew the screw holding on the tuner button on a Schertler tuner.

This was the only image I found online that shows the screw in question even halfway well:

Schertler tuners

So I sat down to loosen the screw, then remove it so I could test a Gotoh tuner button on it, only to discover that it would not budge.

At all.

I gave it the old college try but stopped when I realized that the screw would get stripped out if I persisted. As it is, I'll always be able to tell which tuner from the set was the one that I tried to take apart, as I did start to distort the slots a bit.

I've loosened plenty of stiff screws that didn't want to be loosened, but this went beyond that. I'm convinced that the screw was cemented into place when the tuner was put together, and that it was there as a construction method to assemble the tuner but wasn't intended to ever be removed so the buttons could be swapped out.

Perhaps a guitar repairman would be able to coax the screw out of there and change the tuner buttons, but I didn't want to risk it, frankly.

So I'm sorry I can't tell you whether a Gotoh button will fit on a Schertler tuner's shaft, but I think I did determine that the Schertlers aren't intended for that.

Wade Hampton Miller