View Single Post
Old 12-25-2016, 08:10 AM

Default 3 2016 OMs (Circa, Merrill, Dudenbostel)

First of all, Merry Christmas to everyone.

It has been a slow 2016...
I wasn't very active buying and trying guitars like 2014 and 2015.
Well, I did buy 5 guitars... But mostly its about these 3 OMs.

All are from 2016, and they have the same Adirondack spruce and Brazilian rosewood combination.

I've been fond of bigger guitars previously, but over the years I slowly transitioned to smaller models.

The first real world class OM I had was a Borges OM-45 Deluxe... also Adi/Braz combo.. It was nice, and very vintage sounding.

I got curious and wanted to try out other builders and I was fortunate to be offered build slots a couple of years ago...

I received the Merrill OM-42 last April...
It almost never happened... Long story lol...
When I received it, I was pleasantly surprised by how open it sounded...
It is everything I hoped for.
Just magical... Great tonal bloom, 3D sound.
The best new OM I have played.

The Dudenbostel OM arrived last September
I had a hard time choosing between Adi, Carpathian and Englemann.
I told Lynn I did not want a stiff sounding guitar... He recommended Carp and Englemann.. I almost went Englemann, but eventually Adi won.
I almost sold it when a guitar bud told me the Dudenbostel guitars he played were pretty much like a Collings.
I never found a Collings that I truly loved...
But curiosity got the better of me haha...
When it finally arrived, it was tight sounding... But over 2 months it matured beautifully... Loud and none of the harsh edge common in new guitars. It has an old voice. I remember a video comparing a Martin OM A and a real 32' OM... The Dude has the old sound and vibe of the 32'.
Its one of the guitars I surely wont part with.

Finally the Circa OM-42
I got this as a used guitar, barely 1 month old.
The most beautiful guitar Ive ever owned... prettier than the Borges OM-45 dlx. Everything about the guitar spells class.
It was a little tight when I received it 3 weeks ago.
Now the notes bloom and sustain beautifully. Its very similar to the Merrill, just more balanced and mellow.
Over a few more weeks or months I think it will be a very special guitar.

Last edited by Fsgeek; 12-26-2016 at 12:32 AM.