View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

I have a new gen x7 and a Klos travel guitar and a Furch Little Jane.

Also a BlackBird El Capitan.

I take my guitars travelling and sometimes just down to my boat to hang out and play as well as up in my camper van to go skiing and overnight.

They all have different things that they do better. The Furch sets up and takes down very quickly and is the easiest to transport and the small backpack is easy to store / and pack. It also sounds great. Better than the klos to my ear but not quite up there with the x7.

The BlackBird sounds the best of the lot and I don't worry about it in the elements but is also very large so is much more of a pain to take a long and takes up too much space in either the boat or the camper most of the time. It is also a lot harder to play it inside the boat or camper just due to the physical size differences.

The baby Klos is great robust and worry free. The nut / string spacing is smaller than my preference but for some reason is still ridiculously easy to play. But the neck detach mechanism is slow relatively and so I usually do not take it apart to store or transport and as a result it takes up more storage space than the Furch. I will take it occasionally for plane travel as I can stuff it in my knapsack and stuff it full of clothes etc with no worries.

I will never take the Furch skiing due the rapid temperature changes. The Klos usually gets the nod there.

The x7 is great and what I usually take to my guitar lessons and will occasionally go to my boat but it takes up considerably more space in the cabin.

I do think that the full-size Klos in the price range you are looking at might be an interesting option and I think the hybrid would likely be robust enough for your needs.

The journey mentioned is another interesting option. The neck detach / reattach is similar to the Furch for speed so keeping it folded is a reasonable option.