View Single Post
Old 01-06-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Not at all. You just have to imagine the chord diagram laid flat on the guitar fretboard. It's like a piece of the fretboard, drawn as a diagram or a map.

However, I wouldn't say you are wrong to see it the way you do...
This is my first post in this forum and I really didn't mean to stir things up. Sometimes I have a natural sense of query that questions conventional wisdom. This is just one of those things that made me ask "why do they call it the sixth string when it's the first string I strike when strumming a chord?"

Then when I looked at a graph of a chord and it kind of make sense to me. But then I wondered why the diagram is oriented in such a way that it appears upside down?

This is a great place and I've been reading other posts for awhile and decided to ask and you gave an excellent explanation, as have others. So thank you all for taking the time to go into detail.

So now when I see chords oriented this way in some diagrams, I'll look at them from the point of view as you said "like a piece of the fretboard, drawn as a diagram or a map"

Makes more sense to me now and I get it. Still seems a little strange to call the top string on a guitar, the string I strike first, the bottom or sixth string. But I reckon there's more important things in life to be concerned with.

Great forum and great answers, thanks guys!