View Single Post
Old 02-03-2022, 11:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Howard,
Thank you for those insights. Question:
If you were asked to pick a song from your compositions as a way to introduce slide playing technique to someone, which one would it be? And would you favor acoustic over electric? i.e. is one inherently easier than the other?
Nokie's Blue Bottle sounds like it would be great to learn and play, but it seems demanding slide technique wise. Or maybe not?
(To the OP: Sorry for trampling on your thread, but since it got Howard's attention, I figured I'd take the opportunity to ask him).
Hello Andre,
So sorry for the late reply!

My stuff is not easy to play, and least of all Nokie's Blue Bottle! The fretted sections alone are not easy, especially while wearing a slide on your ring finger, (which is pretty much a non-negotiable item, because of the stretches needing the pinky), so there's that........

I don't think electric is any easier than acoustic, unless you start involving compression pedals, but then you're not really learning how best to control the slide in its most basic form.

I've taught The Piping Plover Waltz to a couple of people over the years, and given its slow tempo it may be the better choice.

Hope all is well with you!

Best,
Howard