View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 01:04 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Default Possible upgrades to a MIM Strat

In 2010, for Christmas we bought our son a new MIM Fender Strat Standard HSS as per pic (with bridge position Fender humbucker) which was his choice upon visiting local shops. It is virtually identical to the new “Player” version. We also bought him a Fender Super Champ amp at the same time. At the time, the HSS was Cdn$600, it’s now about $1,200. Prior to that, he’d been playing a Norman B20 acoustic we’d bought him years earlier. He’s always been primarily an acoustic player.

A few years ago, he bought himself a Taylor 114ce. In the last month or so, after trying my new Martin D-18, he’s expressed that he likes the tone and feel and started considering a Martin within his budget which seems to be around Cdn$2k. No sooner had he hit the local guitar shops, electric guitars were catching his eye and he’s now shifted to wanting one, yet he doesn’t play the Strat much and so doesn’t know much about electrics...tones, signal chains, amps. He seems mostly smitten by looks only at this point...Les Pauls, PRSs and lesser so, Teles. He has since gone on his own to shops and plugged in and he’s liking a particular PRS at around $2,200. Of course, this could take him down the black hole of better amp and other gear that he can’t afford.

I certainly understand the GAS he’s feeling, and I did go with him the first two times he visited a shop, but I’m suggesting that he take his Strat with him to compare. Actually, his Strat is practically brand new, and feels as good or better than the Les Pauls and PRSs in the same price range as his HSS. Before dropping a lot of money on a new electric, I’ve given him food for thought to consider much less expensively trying better quality tuning machines, bridge and pickups on his Strat as easy swap-outs to arguably turn it into a much better guitar that he might be happy with, and learn about doing such upgrades on his own. He could still afford to buy a Martin acoustic of some sort.

He’s thinking about it, but he’s not sure that making such changes to the Strat is worth it. I tend to think that the fundamental guitar in terms of body wood, neck (maple) and frets are totally fine and by making components changes and proper setup, it will be a much better guitar. One question I have is about the wiring...is it the same as in a higher quality Strat? Am I giving him good advice? I just hope to give him as much food for thought as possible to help him with his decision.

Thanks for any feedback!

p.s. Any better pickup recommendations including a humbucker would be appreciated.

Last edited by Acousticado; 01-22-2022 at 01:13 PM.