View Single Post
Old 01-18-2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJ View Post
Would someone chime in with the pros and cons of using a wound 3rd string?

Seems that lighter gauge sets come with plain, and the heavier ones switch to wound.

I'm mostly an acoustic player so am used to heavier strings. I've always used 10s on my electrics, but don't remember why I chose them. I'm now playing electric more (just at home, I never play out, or even with other people). I guess my goal at this point is to use the strings that feel best to me, since I'm not chasing tone, really.

So I guess this question has turned into "what gauge strings should I use". I think I'd appreciate strings that feel more like those I am used to on acoustics, so maybe 10s or 11s? My acoustics are heavier, of course, but I don't need to go to 12s on the electrics, right?

I know the best answer is to try a bunch of different sets, but I think I need to get my guitars set up for whatever strings they will be wearing. I'll be moving away from my set up guy in a few weeks, so need to get that done soon. Any input is welcome.

Hope this isn't a thread hijack!?!
As I understand it: At a certain string diameter an unwound "plain" string would be unwieldy to fret and bend, and won't vibrate right either. In in-between string gauges, like .011 top E string sets it plausible to use either.

With some guitars: most often archtops with wooden bridges, the fixed intonation steps assume a wound 3rd. You can still make do with a plain 3rd (just cheat a bit on intonation), but that's what they were designed to use.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....