View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
you shouldn't have any difficulties fingerpicking the standard 13-56 MM13 set on a short-scale guitar like your Loar
But is it? The saddle-to-nut scale length may be shorter than on a similar-sized flattop, but AFAIK you have to add the string segment between saddle and tailpiece to the total length that goes into the equation that relates pitch to length, mass and tension. It's like using a capo, and seen in that light I think the played part of the strings should feel a bit stiffer.

Something else. My mini-jumbo isn't exactly a lightly built guitar as far as I can tell. According to Godin, it's designed for 12s, possibly13s but not more. I'll admit, it sounds strong and powerful with 13s, but you need a pick get the sound out of it - with fingerstyle it'll sound muted. I've long played it with 11.5 (or 12) to 52s, but even then got that somewhat muted sound. Until I put on a set of Plectrums, which have 11,14 E1 and B, but relatively much lighter wound strings. With those I finally and paradoxally have the impression I'm getting the amount of sound I want out of the guitar (though the low E is probably a tad too weak). It's as if these lighter strings allowed the top to open up, breathe.
Couldn't something similar happen on an archtop, that you get better results when fingerpicking on lighter strings?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)