Thread: Line 6 Helix
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 10:55 AM

Smile Line 6 Helix

The primary issues for me in amplifying nylon string Flamenco guitar with active pickup and using effects were a number of issues that were solved (for me) by the following:

1. Pickup /Preamp - Solved by
a. Takamine Palathetic/CoolTube preamp/pickup
b. Cordoba GK Pro /Fishman Presys
(both of these give accurate representations of the sound as active pickups; no "Acoustic Modeling" DI's necessary or even desirable...

2. The advent of FRFR speakers in the modeling world for electric guitars (all the correction/compensation for electric guitars is done in the electronics, so the Aux In gives accurate representation of the signal.

That said, I just got my hands on a Line 6 Helix, and it is truly staggering - an absolute monster. Even the electric patches sound great (albeit at reasonable sound levels; control of input gain is critical), but the magic is in the input section (I also have Helix Native VST and the Helix hardware adds something "special" compared to my Scarlett 2i2 and GT-001 dry inputs to Ableton Live. I don't know what it is - perhaps their auto impedance function, but whatever it is... WOW!

(the other interfaces are very good, I have no complaints, but for me there is a significant difference that can't be tweaked via their controls...)

I'm monitoring through an iLoud portable speaker (which is the best small FRFR speaker I have found) using the Aux in and the sounds and effects are just mind-boggling. (Except for the reverbs, for which an update will be coming soon around NAMM 2018 according to Line 6.)

My search is OVER at last! I can't imagine the sound getting any better. for my application ..
Sorry to rant, but it has been a long and painful journey....

(Note: In addition to Native, there are many, many other solutions I have tried that are excellent, both HW and Software (e.g. GT-1, Katana, HD500x, Amplify, S-Gear, Positive Grid Bias, etc.. ) - these days all of them have real value. But the Helix is really exceptional for me. I haven't tried Kemper, or Axe-FX.. remember, I am playing nylon string guitar, though ....)

Last edited by BuleriaChk; 01-12-2018 at 11:09 AM.