View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post

A much better option than both for a first dabble into arch tops with magnetic pickups would be a Godin Kingpin.
I've never played a Kingpin, but I played a Seagull and a Godin Multiac -- and didn't like either. String spacing felt off to me -- I don't know how to describe it other than that. Really didn't care for the Seagull sound, and even the Multiac seems like it is expecting to be played plugged in, not acoustic. And that's fine except even plugged in, it has a very "electric" sound to it. (Honestly, even in the hands of Doyle Dykes, I don't dig the Godin sound.) Which is fine, I guess, except I want something more woody and airy feeling.

Are Kingpin's different? (Obviously you like them.) I've seen your YouTub channel and respect you opinion. I just always thought that the Kingpin was made to be played plugged in.

The thing that intrigues me about the Guild is the floating pickup. Sounds different than a lot of the other things I've heard plugged in (at least through YouTube. Never heard one live.)

Edit: Just looked them up on the Godin website as well as a couple of other online retailers. Many different models, and they range in price quite a bit. Can anyone give a quick Primer on them? What to look for? What to avoid? That kind of thing?

Last edited by ChapinFan; 12-03-2017 at 01:32 PM.