View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

To use more than one USB mic at a time on a Mac you have to create an aggregate device. It can work, but of course you do have some risk (theoretical/speculative, at least) that their clocks are not precisely the same over long recording sessions. That setup would not be my first choice if I wanted to use 2 mics.

Mics are difficult because what can sound fine to one person might be irritating to another. And with recording, a lot of what makes a mic desirable is how easy it makes the job of capturing what you want to hear, given the performer, instrument/voice, performance and space. In other words, one-size-fits-all is the proverbial unobtanium.

But one truism is that a good mic will still capture a good sound and last essentially forever with care, so spending a bit more is not usually wasted money, and buying a good condition used model can be a way to get better equipment for less money.

But, to cut to the chase, for singer-songwriter in less than ideal or even pretty good conditions, you can do a lot worse than the SM58 (or SM57 with foam windscreen) for vocals, and a decent small condenser microphone on guitar. I really liked the ATM450 I picked up used for $100 (sold, but practically given to a friend), though it might be a budget stretch new - not sure what you are looking for. My last little experiment use an sE Electronics SDC and it's fine - not as nice as my AT4051a ($500 for the current model), but workable. There are others that folks here use of all kinds of price ranges, but it depends a lot on your space. (I also use an LDC on acoustic, but I have a pretty well treated space.)