View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
Wow, this thread takes me back to 2002. Coming from a bass background, I wanted an electric guitar that I could fingerpick. Never used a pick very much on a bass, so fingerpicking was must for me. Did not own an acoustic either. The only two electrics that worked for me was a PRS Custom 24 and the headless Steinbergers. Both high end. Ended up buying the PRS. Still have it. Last year I had the frets leveled and re-crowned, there was still enough metal for the repairman who did it, no re-fretting required. He really appreciated working on it as they make some of the best guitars out there. No correcting of faulty workmanship, just wear and tear from me using it. He had some good stories to tell me about other popular brands with lousy designs or workmanship. So 15 years is pretty good, and still plenty of life left in those frets. Took me a good many years, but I'm finally using a pick too I know it's rather odd to buy a high end guitar as a first one, but it was only one of two I actually felt good playing. Turned out to be a worthwhile investment.
I think it's one of the best things you can do, as long as you have a history of following through on your interests. I got my first PRS in 1997, (a new McCarty gold-top), after playing for about 30 years of Gibson/Fender. When I first plugged it in, my brains literally fell out as it was so much easier to play, move around, and get a great sound. Better instruments make better players, to a point, but definitely make the experience far better.