View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 02:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I’m not totally sure if my Lowden F32 is gloss or satin, it’s like somewhere in between? Either way I prefer that, it just feels and looks great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
The hand rubbed satin finish on a Lowden or McIlroy is wonderful (I have a Mac and have owned Lowdens). Smooth and lustrous. I wish my Taylors, Martin and Gibson had the same finish.
A good point! It’s worth remembering that not all satin finishes are created equal. Unlike the cheaper satin finish of, e.g. Martin, where a flattening-agent is added to the lacquer used to spray the guitar, Lowden, Avalon, and McIlroy instruments are sprayed with gloss nitro, which is then hand-rubbed to ‘knock-back’ the gloss to satin. It’s a more expensive process, but the result looks and feels luxurious, and superior to the satin finishes achieved by putting a flattening agent in the lacquer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkatjoe View Post
It would be a deal consideration. Why does the guitar have a satin finish if it's a high-end guitar? I'd do some research, that doesn't sound like a high-end guitar finish to me.
Lowden, Avalon, and McIlroy don’t build high-end guitars? I recommend you do that research - you may get a very pleasant surprise!!

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)