View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I do pay attention to results. You think that my belief of the ketogenic diet is because I’m falling for a fad diet theory? I’ve tried many diets for most of my life, from low fat high vegetables and grains and very restricted meat intake, to low carb and ketogenic diets. All those diets made me lose weight when combined with exercise, but were impossible to keep up. Every single one of them. It wasn’t until mid 2015 or so when I gave the ketogenic diet a shot. By that time I was very fit, training combat sports, and eating a fairly balanced low fat diet. But my weight loss had reached a plateau, and I had a very stubborn pouch of belly fat that would not go down. I also had limited energy and was reliant on pre and post workout supplements to keep up.

So I started the keto diet after my wife bought this dietary supplement kit that was designed to kick-start ketosis, by introducing exogenous ketones to the body. It all sounded like the latest rapid weight loss cleanse fad, but the money was spent and I figured why not. It was almost like a drug. By the third day or so I experienced very high levels of energy, I didn’t need those pre and post workout supplements anymore, and that was from the exogenous ketones. Once my body went into full on ketosis about two weeks later, I was a machine. I started to lift weights at 8am for about an hour, and then hit the mats from 9:30 until noon. I then had to get ready to go to work by 2:30pm. It was not a problem, because I wasn’t only full of energy, my mind was more focused too. Never experienced a crash, I was never starving, and didn’t have any food cravings. Oh yeah and I lost 25 pounds in less than two months (on top of 30 pounds I’ve already lost with previous diets in the course of about a year). I was back to what I used to weight when I was 21 years old, but much healthier and stronger. I then started to introduce carbs to my diet, effectively switching from keto to low carb, and was able to maintain that for about a year and a half.

Like I said earlier, no diet can be kept up for the long run, but of all the diets I’ve tried, it was the keto and low carb diets I not only had the very best results, but I was able to keep them up for much longer.

As for the brain running on carbs, that’s a well debunked myth. When you’re on ketosis, ketones can fuel up to 70% of the brain, the rest is fueled by glucose that’s processed by the liver by converting fatty amino acids. Our ancestors survived with very low carb diets, so our bodies evolved to be fat-processing machines. Grains are a relatively new addition to the human diet.
What I said (and linked to) was low-carb diets contribute to greater all-cause mortality. And yes, I think keto is a fad diet which will eventually fall out of favor when people have more information about the long-term effects.

It's certainly a good way to lose weight.

I've been on a plant-based diet for 4 years, and have absolutely no trouble maintaining it, because it's easy to get all the nutrients I need from it. The keto diet is hard to follow because you can only eat the carb equivalent of 2 apples to stay in ketosis which very few people actually do. Compliance is extremely low, and no, not all diets are equal when it comes to compliance.

Yes, you can fuel the brain on ketones, so the fact that the brain prefers carbs is neither a myth or debunked. As the study here shows, low-carb diets in the long term lead to a far higher chance of alzheimers, specifically because of protein and mineral buildup in the brain. Not good.

People on pant based diets have the lowest BMI of any group, so not only can you lose weight on them, it's a better way to lose weight and far better for your health. Common sense prevails. Eating loads of fatty, protein dense foods turns out not to be a good idea, which we've known forever. Eating loads of vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, and whole grains turns out to be a good thing. What we've known for a long time is still correct. That's why keto is a fad. It just doesn't stand up to the science or results.

Quote:
Low carbohydrate dietary patterns favouring animal-derived protein and fat sources, from sources such as lamb, beef, pork, and chicken, were associated with higher mortality, whereas those that favoured plant-derived protein and fat intake, from sources such as vegetables, nuts, peanut butter, and whole-grain breads, were associated with lower mortality, suggesting that the source of food notably modifies the association between carbohydrate intake and mortality.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...135-X/fulltext