View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
So here is a question - I am not interested in electronics on an acoustic but I've found a used guitar that I would like to check out which has electronics (the guitar will have to be brought in from another province). I have electronics in my LL6, but they are unobtrusive. This guitar, a Taylor 414, has the three control knobs on the upper shoulder. Having controls there kind of bugs me, but I am wondering if I should force myself to get over this if I like everything else about the guitar, particularly when it is in mint condition and is available for 2/3rds of the price new. Because of the electronics I can't decide whether to have the guitar brought in or not. If it didn't have those I would be all over it.

How much of an issue should I let this be, or should I ignore it if everything else about the guitar works for me?
Seems to me that's a compromise you don't have to take. Is this a used guitar? To me, electronics is a major feature/blemish to a guitar. I have guitars that have electronics, and ones that don't. I won't put electronics in a guitar that doesn't because that will change the guitar, and I probably won't like a guitar better because it has electronics. If it already has them, then I liked the guitar as is, and will accept the electronics as part of that guitar. But if I looked at a guitar, and said I would love it except for the electronics, then I would move on, that's not the guitar for me. There are too many others available that will be acceptable for me as is, than for me to compromise on a guitar in that way. Especially if it's a guitar I'm spending a lot of money on. Frankly, the ones I own that have electronics are the cheaper guitars. My nicer guitars have no electronics, and I prefer them that way.

Remember, anything you do to a guitar affects it's sound, that includes adding or removing electronics.