View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl_Record19 View Post
I think I'm going to need to summarize my original post and some additional details.

The Adirondack topped guitars that I've played, Taylor, Martin and Collings, seem overtly stiff in terms of response and tonal color. As someone else on this topic has pointed out, Adirondack is considered an upgrade. If, to my ears, they don't sound as good as people claim it to be, I think there's something wrong with the picture. Besides, how can a different soundboard ever be considered an upgrade? We all have different ears and tastes, so this "upgrade" mentality is what is really bothering me.

As for my friend, he wanted a steel string guitar that played and felt like a classical guitar. He got the body style, scale length and dimensions to meet that desire, but he couldn't decide on a top. Collings suggested that he "go all the way" with Adirondack because it was a good investment. Now, coming from a classical background, us nylon stringers like a top that's responds well to a light touch with deep bass and sparkling trebles. I feel Engelmann or German spruce would've satisfied that desire far more than a traditional steel string top. Instead, my friend bought into Collings's advise and got a guitar that sounded a little disappointing to his ears.

That's what this is about.
Adirondack is a price "upgrade" because it's not as plentiful as sitka. I think a lot of folks mistake that for a quality upgrade.

Put a good set of headphones on and listen to this Traphagen 000 (yeah, I know YouTube videos don't necessarily replicate what the guitar sounds like in person, but it does demonstrate the balance, clarity and sustain of the guitar).

Dake Traphagen is famous for his classical guitars, but I think this is a great example of what a talented luthier can do with adirondack - which is also the case with Dana Bourgeois, James Goodall and Michael Millard (as well as others). I'm still kicking myself for not buying this guitar when it was for sale...