View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 04:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
OK, I am confused then. No double sides to keep the sound pure, but then what will the laminated linings be and is that not the same as laminating more blackwood for double sides???
It’s a matter of degree. Almost all sides whether doubled or not have linings. In my opinion, letting the wood age in its most natural state will pay dividends over the long haul. that is why I don’t laminate the back though i do glue on braces. It might be fine to make double sides out of two layers of blackwood but i cannot afford that, and there’s the matter of the glue which forms part of the structure and which might not be the most resonant part of the side system. I have no data to back up my opinion. I simply am going on a gut feeling that keeping the sides as “pure” as possible without adding the complexity of a glue line, will make a better sounding guitar over time plus I do like to keep the dalbergias as unadulterated as possible. There are a lot of variables when using other woods. Some woods that are not as hard or resonant as the dalbergias could have their resonance improved by laminating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlegato View Post
Thoughtfully said John!
Thank you sir.