View Single Post
Old 04-12-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
But why? That would only have an advantage if they're aiming for a physical airguitar (i.e. an electric with air inside), to limit feedback. Not what I'd expect from Taylor.

You mean like an exo-skeleton?
Because they already do it successfully on some of their models that have unbraced backs. I personally think their unbraced back plates contribute to those models punching above their pay grade.

Nothing wrong with using the same process to form a top plate and then adding braces. It's been done successfully for years on some of the consumer arch tops.

Steve DeRosa's comments about re-design and coming up with a unique instrument are very on target with what I was trying to relate. Taylor can use their design savvy to produce a economically viable laminate arch top guitar with secret-sauce bracing that produces a new, but pleasing sound while using medium or even light gauge strings. Part of the problem I always have with "arch tops" is the need to string with heavier guage strings to drive the top.

Don't think for a minute that it can't be done, given Andy Powers being thrown into the formula.

I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for a Godin solution. They might just try it but do something boneheaded like epoxying the necks on to cut costs.

Last edited by Rudy4; 04-12-2022 at 08:04 AM.