View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
It's definitely not the original pickup. That's a Fishman Neo-D.

Certainly not what it would have come with. For a start the Neo-D isn't designed for an end-pin socket; it comes with about 10 feet of cable attached that you run out of the soundhole and into an amp - you would have to cut the cable and solder it in to make it a permenant addition to the guitar. Also, it doesn't need a preamp, which that guitar almost came with.

It's a pretty good pickup though - I have one 'round here somewhere. It sounds surprisingly woody for a mag pickup. I would want to know whether it was the single-coil or the humbucker version. I bought the single-coil first and I got a LOT of RF noise on it. I had to send it back and get the humbucker.
Also, seeing the New-D in the sound-hole doesn't mean the original pickup is not in there - the shadow pickup is an under-saddle piezo, so it might still be there. But if it is in there, it's at least unsoldered from the endpin jack. Either the pre-amp packed up and this was an easy fix, or someone really wanted to change to a mag pickup. It clamps to the soundboard so it's easy enough to remove, or would be if it's not soldered to an end pin jack.

Hope that helps.
That helps me sooooooo much. At least I wasn't going crazy. I will contact the store. Actually, as I think I said, the pickup is not that big a deal for me and, in fact, if I could find one I'd prefer to get a straight-ahead AJ500R without a pickup. This model at least doesn't have the cutaway. But I'm having a doozy of a time trying to find one like that ... that doesn't charge me an arm and a leg, actually two legs.

I wonder why the pickup was swapped. The store has no info on that. I will try go get some more info on how the pickups are now set up. I asked the store clerk to plug it in and it works ... but that's all I know about it. Perhaps that's why the price is a bit lower than normal. Actually I don't know what "normal" price would be. I paid only $300 for my AJ500MNS with the original (and beautiful) Epiphone case which I've now found to be a steal.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin