View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Default What are you reading?

I just finished re-reading The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher.

I just got my hands on a first edition because that was what I read back in 1970. This revolutionary book was lauded as the inspiration for a whole generation of hikers. It certainly inspired me to get involved back then, even though much of Fletcher's west coast gear and technique had to be heavily adapted to work in the Appalachians. Besides, while the book purported to be about technique it really was just as much about the philosophy and motivation that make us want to go out into the wilderness. He influenced me very, very much. When, in 2009, I heard that he'd died of complications from injuries sustained when he was hit by a car while walking, I pulled out my gear, fired up my Optimus 71 white gas stove, brewed up a mug of tea, and took a while to remember his work. I suppose I may have to re-read one of his other books I have, The Man Who Walked Through Time, the chronicle of the first ever walk through the entirety of the grand Canyon National Park.

Other than that, I re-read Thunder Below by Rdm. Eugene B. Fluckey, the exploits of the U.S. submarine USS Barb while under his command.

Still trying to finish The Wartime Journals of Charles A. Lindbergh at bedtimes but he is such a snooty fellow I'm sure he'd think I am an ant and I'm having a had time getting over it.

Bonhoffer. Slow going.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)