View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 06:36 AM

My rule of thumb for setting up guitars is start with the nut, get it right with correct string slot heights, or at least pretty close. String it up to tension and check using the "press at the third fret, look for clearance over first fret" technique. With strings at tension, adjust the truss rod for your desired relief - I use .004 to .006 fretting at 1 and 12. The final thing to do is set your desired action at the 12th fret - .065 high E and .090 low E (1/16" and 3/32") is considered good, normal action for an acoustic guitar, but work up to it - with an old, cheaper guitar you may come up against wonky frets that need work, or leave action higher that ideal to reduce buzzing. So it sounds to me that you just need to start working on the bridge saddle. If you can measure how much you want to lower the action by at the 12th fret (say you measure .100 and you want .065) you take double that amount off the saddle. Don't go too far and run out of saddle. If that doesn't do it, there may be structural problems with the guitar.