View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
From my own experience, yes, some guitars come out below my standars and yes, I don't sell them. I don't trash them though.

I plan on increasing my success rate by designing 2 or 3 models and sticking to them. It's much easier to build a certain model than an entierly custom one each time.
This seems to be this guy's approach. I was really surprised when he told me he doesn't know if a guitar is any good until he plays it. He had already told me he long ago got to the point where he didn't build a bad guitar. From the amazing quality of his dread #12 I have I would almost assume he is a perfectionist. He never made a living from lutherie. He is a retired college professor. He has said on a number of occasions his calling is to build guitars, not to sell them. He usually sells them for enough money to recoup his material investment and be able to buy materials for his next build. I recently arranged for another college professor in Kansas to obtain a new OM from him for $800 with a hard shell case that I encouraged him to ask at least $2,000 for. It's amazing in this day and age to find a craftsman who works for pure love of his craft with no profit motive whatsoever.