View Single Post
Old 08-18-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I’ve played both the Gold Tone and the version Gibson was making for a while, and the conclusion I came to is that it was basically a crappy little guitar. They don’t really ring out like a mandolin or fill in like a guitar.

You could call it a “worst of both worlds” situation.

I’ve played multiple examples of both brands, and this sort of built-in mediocrity seems to be characteristic of the instrument, because all of them were sort of stifled-sounding.

So I can’t recommend them, frankly. It’s one of those things that seems like it should be a great idea but really isn’t.
Thanks for the first-hand review, Wade. I actually ended up stumbling upon a nearly identical post from you over a decade ago in response to a similar post, so I’m wondering if you’ve played one of the more recent Gold Tone models or if your experience is is with the older versions. Not that there would be massive differences compared to the latest iterations, just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
Have you considered an Emerald Amicus? Lots of love for them in the CF section of the Forum. Full disclosure: I have one incoming...
I hadn’t seen those, interesting! I think I’d be looking for a more traditional silhouette, though I would love to own a carbon fiber instrument at some point because I think it’s such a cool space. I’m sure the engineering on those instruments backs up the soundhole size and location. That and I’m looking in a different price bracket for now, but those do seem really nice. I hope you enjoy yours!