View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 01:18 PM

My bet is they were not able to reproduce the problem and loaded it up with hot glue hoping that helps. Intermittent problems are a pain!

My friend's active bass had an intermittent condition where the output was distorted even with a fresh battery. I looked inside, did some of the usually checks and found nothing wrong (since it sounded perfect regardless of what I did). There were three tin plated connectors and I soaked them with Deoxit and gave myself credit for a "repair".

Well now a couple years later it did it again and again it worked perfectly on my bench. This time I decided to take the connectors apart to really thoroughly clean them. Low and behold that was all that was holding the circuit board in place and as soon as it came out I saw a broken solder joint with one of the many wires soldered to the back of one of the pots just laying there. I cleaned the connectors and fixed the solder joint. And again I've given myself credit for a repair...

I think the most important concession from Carvin would be an extension of the warranty for one year after their repair.

I've had my share of intermittent problems and it has motivated me to use the least expensive, high quality, least integrated solution for amplification so that I can relatively inexpensively get rid of the offending item rather than chase ghosts. Today that is a single Yamaha DBR10, a Yamaha MG06x mixer for acoustic gigs, and a Boss FDR-1 (Fender Deluxe Reverb modeling pedal) for electric gigs.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 09-21-2016 at 01:28 PM.