Thread: Roland AC-33
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 12:05 AM

Before I start, I mention again that I play a Flamenco (nylon string) Takamine CTP-2/Palathetic TC132SC special order, so YMMV.....

The AC-33 still sounds very good, but there doesn't seem to be as much volume in the vocal channel as I would have liked - I have to crank the volume all the way up to get a useable sound (with the master at half way)
The mic is a Shure WH10 head mic..... so other mics may be more sensitive..

I can, of course crank the master up, but I would have thought I would have gotten more sound out with the master at half..... Maybe its just me, and I'll continue experiment.

On the other hand, it doesn't bother me, since I use the BR-900CD as a front end into the Aux In jacks (for rhythm backing), but the mic input(s) on the BR allow plenty of volume and flexibility, so the above is a minor quibble...

Also, the separate reverb controls for each channel might not be as necessary as I thought, since the reverb does seem voiced for vocal and guitar to be complementary (and not over the top).

The amp is fine for small coffee house gigs and rehearsals; I think the emphasis is on the qualilty of its sound (which I am happy wity), rather than its volume.... It is my impression that the DA-10 may be louder, but doesn't sound quite as good....

For me, though, I must admit that the main drivers for this amp are its battery capability and the fact that t is a perfect size to carry on my motorcycle. My perception is that the CM-30's have much more volume, and sound very good indeed, but they have no effects, and can't be battery powered..... And the CM-30 does have a pole mount..

OTOH, the comments from the service personnel at my Sat gig is that the AC-33 is noticeably more pleasing that any of the other solutions to date (CM-30, SoloAmp, Mobile Cube, A-Ref) and plenty loud enough for that venue...

Oh well, one can't have too many acoustic amps..........sheesh....