View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 12:04 AM

Question An annoying resonance

Hi...first post here, and hoping for a bit of help. A short while ago, I purchased an inexpensive acoustic/electric, an Ibanez AEG12II. Not exactly top drawer, but had some good points. Has the thinner acoustic body, easy to hold, seems decently put together, electronics work well. I was especially fond of the crisp clear voice, and the neck was the best I have had for quite a while. But....now after about 6 months, there is a rather disturbing resonance on the open B string, which also occurs when the same B is fretted on the G string. My first guess was something loose inside, so I loosened the strings, pulled the pins, and had a look around inside with a mirror. Then I got my hand in there and tested all the bracing. Everything seemed tidy and solid. Next, I made sure that the wiring was dressed up inside and not flopping around, then re-installed string ends and pins and retuned. Still gets that overtone on the B.
At this point, I cannot find the culprit for this resonance. The strings are the originals, which were advertised to be D'adarrio, and are starting to lose their bright sound. Could it be as easy as replacing strings? Or is it more of a structural dilemma? I would be grateful for any advice to troubleshoot this problem. I do like the guitar, but if it's hopeless, I'll let it go. Thanks
in advance.