View Single Post
Old 11-25-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
"I think Jerry Garcia will be remembered equally if not more for his songwriting cannon"

I hope this will come to pass, in time. At this point in history, it would appear that the media's myopic focus upon the external, counter-cultural aspects of the band and their associated scene still tends to impede widespread appreciation for the quality of the music.

Personally, I rate the Hunter/Garcia songwriting partnership as equal to any in American history. As a listener, their maddening inconsistency drives me nuts but that doesn't interfere with my appreciation for the songs, many of which I enjoy playing.

Learning guitar later in life, way past my peak fan obsession, and being able, after a few years of cowboy chording, to play most of the melodic Hunter/Garcia songs, I’m convinced that it’s the songs that make the scene. Like you, my appreciation for the songwriting craft is enormous. One of the best American songwriting pair ever. Bob Weir predicts the music will last for the next 2-300 years. I agree. It’s the songs.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)