View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Emerald has used a number of electronic options and I've been through most of them (with nylon string guitars). I think the constant change is due, in part, to the evolution of electronics. So far my favorite pickup is the active Barbera in my thin-bodied X7 nylon electric. It's really clean and reflects the tonal qualities of the guitar. It is also a pickup used by Kirt Sand in his marvelous $6,000 guitars.
I have a Barbera Soloist pickup (passive steel string version). For fingerpicking it's fine. However, as soon as you take a pick to it it's quack central for strumming and flatpicking. It is a minimally invasive install though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
This interests me because I'm starting to stare at a lot of X20 pics and like the specs on that model. However, I don't care at all for the electronics options offered by Emerald. What kind of pickup are you planning on installing?
Schatten HFN. I already had it installed and did a demo of it in the amplification section of the forum. Here's a link to the thread if you're interested (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=545966)

The Anthem is a bright sounding pickup due to the tru-mic and requires serious EQ. This is my 3rd Schatten install and the only one I wasn't happy with. My other installs required no EQ and sounded like the guitar mic'd up. I'm not 100% yet but I'm willing to bet it was due to that soundboard prep. You can also get an idea of how warm sounding my X20 is in that video. Judging by how much brighter it is now I'm willing to bet the pickup will sound much better. I'm hoping to reinstall the pickup today and I will more than likely do an updated comparison video in a week or 2.