View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
In my experience, the un-EQed Pure Mini signal tends to be a little bassier than what one would hear acoustically, or what a mic would hear from far enough out to avoid the proximity effect. Added to that circumstance is the fact that ToneDexter intentionally finds and lowers the instrument's body resonance frequencyl a bit (according to the manual) to discourage feedback problems in live performance. For those reasons, one would expect the Pure Mini signal (recorded flat) to sound bassier than the ToneDexter signal (recorded flat).

Hopefully, the folks who prefer a bassier sound will be able to dial it in with ToneDexter's tone controls. I suspect that ToneDexter's ability to find and limit the instrument's body resonance frequency will make an overall bass boost less problematic, with respect to feedback and muddiness of sound.

If your reference to "larger sounding" refers to a more focused and less ambient sound, then ToneDexter's character function will hopefully help with that.

I've used the word "hopefully" here twice. I'm hoping that ToneDexter will give a lot of us what we want. I suspect it won't please everybody.

Regarding your disappointment with Aura, I can identify with that. I like the feel and sound of my Anthem SL/Zoom A3 setup better. On the other hand, my friend Cormac McCarthy's Aura sound with custom sound images (sound images created using his own guitar/pickup rig) is the "largest" amplified guitar sound that I've heard to date. Since ToneDexter is similar in theory to having Aura plus custom sound images, I'd be interested in it on that basis alone. That said, ToneDexter seems to go "above and beyond" Aura in that its usable with a larger variety of pickups and it might well be (the jury is still out) less feedback prone than Aura.
By "larger sounding" I just mean that when I plug an acoustic in, I want a big sound. That doesn't necessarily mean all bass just something that makes my acoustic sound big. That's one reason why I couldn't work with the lyric. Yes, it sounded like my guitar but I missed that enhanced bass that many pickups add. I will say this, the sound clips above are impressive and the K&K seems to sound just as large when the mic'd image is applied.

By the way, this has probably been touched on somewhere on here but I would be tempted to rent a very high end mic just to capture the images. I have some good condenser mics but I wonder if one of those $3000 dollar studio mics would make a difference?