View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
While it is certainly true that the furniture industry used far more than the guitar industry the real issue was farming and ranching.

Much Braz. RW was simply burned as a clearing method to make room for farms and ranches, without regard for the value of the wood, or other species. This was especially true where transport issues made logging untenable.
Ironic part is that the back and sides just don't have much to do with the sound. Even if they did affect sound much, EIR has an identical density to BR and should conduct sound in a similar fashion. I think there are three things that have led to Braziliomania. First, the idea that if you can't get it, or at least get it legally, it must be better. I call that one Cuban Cigar Syndrome. Second, Martin coincidentally changed the bridgeplate at about the same time the BR started to run out, and it was a tone killer. Their quality also dropped around then, and I think people falsely associated both with the use of EIR. Third, several other major acoustic manufacturers were bought out by corporations (Gibson by Norlin, Gretsch by Baldwin) and again, quality and sound suffered.
I personally like laminated b/s guitars better for some purposes.(ducks quickly)
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model