View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
I think you should re read some of the things I wrote,

I said, "the question I would ask you, or really anyone as I don't want to single you out"

so, yes, in my mind, regardless if I'm right or not, anyone, or everyone, who touts their NGD Rosewood guitar is part of the problem.

again, I understand the old wood, we should use it.

again, what I am saying is that by continuing to use rosewood , anyone, anywhere, has a compounding psychological effect that basically says "hey it's ok to use this material"

and yes it is a moral choice at this point. again I apologize for making you feel like I was singling you out as "the bad guy who wants a rosewood guitar" that was not my intention...the point is, knowing what we know now, how can you or anyone "want" a rosewood guitar.

It is just like Ivory, we know that there is still some out there that was taken 100 years ago, and in this case, unlike the Indian and the Buffalo, the stakes are so high, the Elephants so close to extinction, that even using it, just like wearing fur now, should evoke a feeling of repulsion in most moral people.

It is the psychological bias that Ivory and tortoise shell evoke, the "oh my god you used Ivory" response that I would like to see with Rosewood, why?

again, if it were a tree here or a tree therel, no problem, but they clear cut huge areas of land and kill and displace 1000's of animals, an environmental crime that is right up there with killing elephants, it just doesn;t seem that way because its a tree, a lower life form, it's not so much the tree, it's all the animals that live in the tree.

what people don't want to kill an elephant to get the Ivory because thats wrong, but they are ok with killing 100 monkeys, 600 birds of different species, 300 indigenous rodents and millions of insects in order to get the wood that they call home?

and so again, I'm very sorry for the way I said what I said hit your ear, but again if you read again I think you will see that I included you with "everybody" because think this is "everybodys" problem and that we need to open our eyes to the genocide and that when you change yourself you will change the world.
I read what you said. However, you quoted my post and then went into "shaming" mode. The reason I posed the question about WHO you are shaming is that many, many people in these forums currently own, will likely buy, or at least wish they could buy, a rosewood guitar. If you are not just shaming me and instead, everyone, then I expect to see you quoting and shaming other posts indicating their preference for rosewood guitars as you did mine. Look right now in the Custom Shop sub-forum and you will see both Brazilian and Indian rosewood builds being discussed. Are you planning to shame those people?

The problem I have with your posts is the shaming. You must consider yourself superior and needing to shame those of us "baser creatures". How do you figure? You have no right to be shaming us (or me) here, and I am sure the moderators would agree if they became involved. You do have the right to express your personal views and invite rational discussion. Redir posted similar views, and did so in a way that would lead to rational discussion. Read his posts and then yours, and maybe you will understand. You can lead with emotion if you wish, but don't expect reasonable responses. It is better to deal with this rationally, and I think Redir's posts are an example you might consider.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 03-01-2018 at 05:42 PM.