View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 05:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I'm at my Upstate house, the gauge outside reads 85%s and inside reads 71%.

My Dread Jr is back in it's gig bag with Silica packs and the reading inside is 54%.

Last year things got really soggy in NY and my guitars sounded like they had someone's laundry stuffed inside. I got the silica packs and ran the ac every time I had a guitar out of the case. That got things back to normal, so this year I'm trying to get ahead of it and I have my three guitars in their cases with the silica packs.

Do you worry about high humidity? And what do you do about it?

Ah yes, so it goes.... that wonderful guitar suddenly sounds like $100 laminated cheapie. Your strategy is sound (no pun intended) and using a dehumidifier and/or air conditioner will help somewhat. FWIW, humidity is not usually as dangerous to guitars as extreme dryness but don't be surprised to find the action getting higher as a bit more belly develops in the top due to humidity saturated wood. Here on Cape Cod and a mile from the ocean the radical changes in humidity - or lack of - on a seasonal basis is a constant challenge. I keep an air conditioner going for at least a few hours a day in the summer in my studio where I teach and a humidifier going all winter, plus individual humidifiers in the sound holes of each guitar. And I have to tweak the truss rods at least twice a year. I also have a good humidity gauge to check every day. But in spite of my best efforts, that summer humidity is a bitc.... well you know. I have to keep reminding myself that the tone I know and love WILL return, eventually. Good luck!

Gene