View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 02:20 AM

6stringedRamble wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringedRamble View Post
.... I saw some where on youtube some guy claiming that the sound of the folk revival of the 60s was the Guild as many of them had them. I did see pics of Paul Simon and John Denver playing them.
If you want to talk about sheer numbers, the "sound of the folk revival of the 60s" was more likely to be the sound of inexpensive but surprisingly good-sounding Goya guitars that were made in Sweden and sold to kids who saved their allowances to buy them. Plenty of Guild guitars got purchased by those who could afford them, as were Martins and Gibsons, and on the lower priced end of the scale Harmonys, Kays and you name it.

But to single out one guitar brand as being "sound of the folk revival of the 60s" is fanboy hyperbole and should be recognized as such.

6stringedRamble continued:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringedRamble View Post
Also, I just play for myself does it even pay to get an acoustic electric? I would think the electronics inside the guitar would mess up the resonance.
Maybe yes, maybe no. Some pickup systems dampen a small amount of the acoustic tone, others don't have any discernible effect. It depends on the type of electronics.

If you don't plan to plug in when you play don't go spending extra money to get a guitar with electronics, but if you like the sound of a guitar that does have a pickup installed and can afford the instrument, don't let the presence of electronics put you off buying it.

I own a number of guitars that have electronics installed: in fact, all of my guitars that I gig with have pickups in them. Now, in most cases I've purchased the guitars without electronics and then had the pickups of my choice installed (mostly pickups made by LR Baggs or K&K,) and all of those instruments still have a great acoustic sound. So there's no automatic loss of acoustic tone involved.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller