View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 05:23 PM

Default Guild? What to buy?

So I was looking for a cheap Alvarez to switch up my Seagull S6 sound. I wanted something with a spruce top, and boxy and booming sound to play old folk music, pretty basic stuff. That was convo is here

I was impressed with a Yahama FG830, that I tried out on a whim. People convinced me to consider an all solid guitar, if I already have a laminate. The next range up in my area would be a Guild. From the reviews, Guild sounds even boomier than the Alvarez. I don't think I can seriously afford a D40, nor justify it based on my skill level. I liked the D140. I guess the main difference is one is made in USA and one is made in China? Anyone have thoughts on what benefits you get from the d40 over the d140? Also on other side, what do you lose when you downgrade to the D240E? For me the cheaper the better, really. There's a lot of videos on youtube like this claiming you don't get a significantly better sound after $300.

Also, I saw some where on youtube some guy claiming that the sound of the folk revival of the 60s was the Guild as many of them had them. I did see pics of Paul Simon and John Denver playing them.

Also, I just play for myself does it even pay to get an acoustic electric? I would think the electronics inside the guitar would mess up the resonance.

Last edited by 6stringedRamble; 04-25-2019 at 05:31 PM.