View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 08:30 AM

I also have played a number of the Century line and agree that they may have been made to appeal to players who would primarily use them plugged in. All the models are a bit overbuilt and pretty heavy which would help in a live situation to reduce feedback. A problem is the pickup/preamp they chose. It doesn't provide a very pleasing sound. I went ahead and took a chance on an Olympic for a good price online without playing one first as I thought it would be a nice, small couch guitar when I didn't want to play my larger Loar LH-600. While the build quality on mine is excellent and the largish neck is very comfortable, it is quiet acoustically and pretty unpleasant sounding plugged in, even with a Fishman Platinum Stage preamp. Acoustically and plugged in, I also find it has a resonator type sound going.

So, I think the Century line doesn't appeal to the acoustic jazz players who prefer the more traditional sound of the Loars or the more modern sound of the Eastmans and doesn't offer the traditional acoustic player looking for a different flavor much positive to add one to their arsenal. If Epiphone reboots the line, it will be interesting to see which direction they take it to attract players that didn't go for the current line.