View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
The new mirrorless cameras have a big following. In photography, new things always get the attention. There's no gear from 1959, such as a Strat or Les Paul, that's still prized and used daily by working pros. Still, there are reasons not to buy mirrorless quite yet:

-- the viewfinder. Electronic view finders get better with every generation, but they still have limited ability to represent bright highlights and dark shadows. When I demo'ed a Fuji XT-1 on a sunny street at noon, those bright and dark details were washed out. And that was in Seattle- I work around Denver, where the brightness range is at least two stops greater. That's the beauty of the X100's hybrid VF: flick a switch and you can see the scene in true colors, which is what I prefer. Each generation of EVFs gets a little bit better, but most aren't there yet.

-- battery life. In a mirrorless camera, the battery is working all the time, reading the sensor and creating images on the EVF and rear screen. Expect your batteries to last about a third as long as with a DSLR.

I have a Fuji for casual snapshots and adapted lenses. It works well, but the shooting experience is far better, IMHO, with my DSLR Pentax. The DSLR offers me stablization with every lens I use, plus a big, realistic, real-time, no-battery-drain viewfinder.

The DSLR body is larger, but I compensate by using smaller lenses with smaller glass and apertures. Often when mirrorless coverts gripe about the size of their old DSLR (usually a Canon), they're really talking about the size and weight of f2.8 zooms they attached to them. Those lenses don't shrink much in mirrorless form. The good news is that with useable ISOs up to 1000 and beyond, those fast lenses aren't needed anymore.
You're talking about mirrorless from a few years ago. They used to have those cons, but not any more.

I have had a DSLR since 2005 and still have a Nikon D750 full frame DSLR. But, I got a Sony A7iii last summer and those cons you listed are things of the past. Battery life and the EVF are superb.

I haven't used the latest Fuji, but the camera you are referring to is two generations old already.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s