View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 09:46 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Thanks TBman, Yamahaguy and Patrick.

I just made a big discovery. I was able to loosen the knobs by just loosening and tightening them a bunch of times. THE PROBLEM IS ACTUALLy with the telescoping arm. Photo attached. Even with the knobs loosened, the thin telescoping arm is very hard to move in and out. Any suggestions what to use on the arm itself? I can move the whole boom forward, but I need the extra reach that the thin arm provides me (strange set up, smallroom). Photo attached. Thanks.
Attachment 51686
When this happens it can be as a result of a fall. The clutch assembly or the inner clutch ring can end up out of round as a result of an impact. When this happens there are three courses:

1. The clutch will sometimes have a soft, springy ring inside that the boom arm slides in and out on. The tension screw contacts the soft ring and slightly deforms it to put tension on the boom arm. If it is overtightened, the ring can become permanently deformed and always put tension on the arm. We'll contact the manufacturer and ask if we can buy a new ring or ring set (sometimes there is a metal outer ring and a nylon inner ring). Atlas and K&M are really good about selling parts. See below for clutch disassembly.

2. If the clutch assembly itself is out of round is either threaded onto the end of the boom or attach to the end with a set screw, we can contact the manufacturer and ask if we can purchase a new clutch assembly and replace it. You may have to use a padded vise and padded pliers to spin it off if it is threaded.

3. Failing that option we will buy a new boom and keep the old one for parts.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)