View Single Post
Old 02-25-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
If there is a decrease in consumption of X and an increase in consumption of y it does not necessarily mean there is a correlation between them.

Whilst people find smoking comforting, I find the idea that it would be in anyway useful to treat depression hard to believe. (I smoked for 30 years and have also suffered from depression).

To describe this supposed correlation as a "theory" you will need to come up with some data to justify that claim.

Everybody smoked in the 50's but then everyone wore hats in the 50's. I don't think anyone would make a claim that the decrease in hat wearing has anything to to with the take up of anti depressants.
Well, I figured this was an informal, open discussion in the AGF, not PubMed, so it was okay to offer my "theory" - call it a notion or an idea.

But here's a systematic review of research studies done on the subject. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5157710/.

My idea isn't proven in these studies, but it's not disproven either. And apparently, I'm not the only one who thought it was worthy of consideration.

Hats? They don't introduce mood altering chemicals to the body. Never looked good in hats myself, but I smoked for years, and have been working on keeping my head above the waters of sadness most of my life.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422