View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 07:36 AM

String choice is one of the most fundamental things for any guitar player. As I've gotten older (started playing at 13, am now 47), I've seen changes in my style, my technique, my body chemistry... my hands could kill a set of untreated PB's in an hour or two of normal playing. Now it takes a couple days LOL!!!

Some guitars like certain makes of strings, some like certain sizes. I had a Bourgeois CB Dread that liked whatever you put on it, regardless the material or size. Had a D18-GE that needed mediums to get the top moving and anything other than treated PB's made it too bright and stiff. Weird guitar.

Had a CEO-7 that liked what you put on it, but really shined with Monels where no other guitar I have even sounds good with them. A Taylor 516E I had was particularly awful with them, light or medium.

So, yeah... I'll never agree that string choice is overrated... but also don't hunt and peck forever. Don't allow yourself to be fooled by something that should be good, but just doesn't work for you and don't be afraid to go back to what works.