View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

I agree it is sometimes overrated but I do think it matters a fair amount of the time. We read from time to time re some instances where an AGF'er will report a guitar "coming back to life" with different strings. And I think the experience is real for those who hear it, but I don't expect to ever personally experience turning a "meh" guitar into a "wow" guitar with diff strings. However -like others have said- I do think there are noticeable differences in tone (and certainly differences in other factors like playability/feel, durability, etc.) from one brand/type to another. I believe round cores feel softer and do increase sustain (and perhaps some related natural reverb) to my ears. I have learned that I favor Phos Bronze over 80/20, but that most quality PB strings are going to give me similar results. I like some, but not all nickel strings. Of course not all "nickel/monel" strings are even close to being the same material; some only nickel plated and some solid, others use different nickel alloys, etc.

With more alloys, round cores, balanced tension, parabolic, etc., IMHO there's more technical reasons than ever for us to hear real differences from one string type to another. Still a good question, good discussion.

Last edited by gmel555; 09-27-2020 at 11:27 PM.