View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 04:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Cigarfan, if you want to see my face when I get it, you'd best start driving now. I leave this area around 11 tomorrow and can give you a ride for the last 3 hours of the way.

But I have a pretty good idea already of what it looks like. I think the playability and sound will be what surprises me if anything does. Mark does such a good job with the photos that we don't have to imagine much, other than how it sounds and how it plays - and, based upon others of his that I have played, I think both of these can only surprise me in one way - very pleasantly.
Thanks Roland,

I felt you were pretty clear on what you were looking for in the sound of this guitar so I'm hoping there aren't too many surprises!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
I love how quietly Mark comes in, drops a bunch of photos as though it's nothing, then quietly accepts the praise that is heaped on him!

Me? I'd come in with trumpets blaring "Check out This!!!!" then boom!! *Mic Drops* walks out with one hell of a strut!!!
https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7qDE...RQ2c/giphy.gif

I've run out of words to say Mark, yet another beautiful guitar!
Thanks Zandit75! It's a tough path to walk for me when talking about my own work. If I come off too enthusiastic it sounds like a cheap sales pitch but, the fact is I love building guitars and sometimes when things come out better than I thought or when a new idea has unexpected benefits I do feel like shouting from the mountain tops.
On the other hand if I'm too quiet about it I may come across as apathetic or worse yet smug. The fact is most often clients want their builder to share their excitment about their new build.
So I just try to be genuine. I don't say I'm excited about something I'm not excited about and I try not to overstate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Well this sounds cliche, but you have truly outdone yourself on this one Mark. This guitar is just a stunning piece of art and it will sing like angels I am sure of that. I am so glad for having played even a small part in helping to get this project underway as it turned into a masterpiece beyond words. Although you did not build this part, I will give you credit for finding it, but the bearclaw figure in the upper bouts that projects at 90 degree angles to the fret board in a linear fashion is just mesmerizing to look at. That is very unique. Maybe I have seen it before, but I think not.

Congrats to both of you, but really to you Mark on your artistry.
Thanks Tom! When Roland was coming out to the studio to meet I was going through my tops to select a few for him to choose from. We had already landed on the Padauk. When I pulled this top and set it next to the Padauk I thought it was the obvious choice. Problem was Sitka wasn't even on the list of Roland's choices and Sitka's general sound characteristics aren't what Roland was looking for. I could tell by the density, stiffness, and tap tone however that once again general species characteristics don't really have much to do with the individual piece you have in hand. I knew this top would deliver. So I had the tops pulled and was going through them with Roland. When we got to this top Roland, without hesitation went for it and I thought, "Great! We're on the same page".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Looks fantastic, Mark.

That sitka is really amazing as well with the red coloring it has!

the padauk--WOW!!!
Thanks Nemoman!

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher