View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Years ago, I was a Gibson guy: one electric, one acoustic, both Gibsons (60s and 70s). I eventually found other acoustics I preferred. Even though I spent 14 years with an Ovation, I considered myself a "wood guitar" guy. I got rid of the Ovation when I bought my first Taylor. Then, more Taylors... I knew I was a "Taylor guy" when my family bought me Taylor logo-ed stuff for gift-giving occasions. I still considered myself a wood guitar guy, even though there were more Taylors living with us than anything else

Then, I bought a RainSong Shorty. I thought it was going to be my "travel guitar." I couldn't believe that wonderful crystal-like tone. I liked the size, the sound... I had not given carbon fiber a second glance when a friend told me about it, years before. Hey, I was a wood guitar guy.

Oh, I bought another wood guitar, a Taylor 522ce 12-fret a year or so after getting the RainSong. Then, 6 months ago, I bought an Emerald X7. I am completely convinced on what carbon fiber brings, and found this X7 to be the most comfortable guitar I've owned. Love the sound. No, it doesn't have the same tone as my 814ce, but it doesn't have to. It doesn't make me want to get rid of my RainSong, either.

BUT, this X7 is the guitar I pick up the most often. Sounds great acoustically and plugged in. The comfort has convinced me that I won't likely be buying any more wood guitars... even though there are some that I think are gorgeous. Oh, I look at my guitars when they're hanging on the wall... but, it is how they sound and feel that makes me want to play them.

I feel fortunate to be able to have a handful of nice guitars. While I sometimes think about "thinning the herd," there is something about each of the guitars that makes that one special to me. If I had to downsize, the two carbon fibers would be the last to go. If you made me choose between those two (Sophie's Choice??), the X7 would be the one that stays.

I am out of wall space. There is another guitar that I'd like to add, but...