View Single Post
Old 12-24-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I don't think there's any extra hoop for the performer - most wouldn't know the difference between, say a vertical XY, and a MS setup. And I don't think MS is any more sensitive (or less) to movement than any other (except mono). Mathematically, MS is exactly the same stereo pattern as XY, so I'd say the same issues with movement occur no matter what the micing technique - but they are exacerbated by close micing. What I described as locking myself in place, basically by having a chair and a footstool, I do regardless of the micing technique. I don't like wearing headphones while recording, unless I'm overdubbing.

I do suspect that with spaced pairs there's at least a bit more of a visual guide, and observant guitarists will naturally try to keep themselves aligned to the mics, while an MS setup offers less of a visual cue. But I've had plenty of times recording others where we get the mics set up and by 2nd take I realize the player has managed to move dramatically out of the position we set up - even with spaced pairs.... Some people just can't sit still :-) I do feel better correcting the levels of a spaced-pair recording than an XY or MS if they end up being off because someone has moved - perhaps for no rational reason.

I’m about to purchase two CMC5 scheops kit mics. I thought about getting them both cardioid but, after watching your video. I’m thinking of getting 1 cardioid, and the other Omni. It’ll be mostly used for acoustic guitar recording. I’m still not sure though.