View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
Well here's my room, or rooms I have to work with. If I was going to do some building of acoustic tiles, which room. The basement is open, more space, but not really a closed room. The closed room is real small. I wish I had built it bigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dyFWuGHUtI
Basically, bigger is better. There are a few issues and smaller makes them worse. Heavy early reflections in the mids and highs make the recording tend to sound "cheap" and "non-pro." Worse, the mics get a dose of cancellation and reinforcement so their effective frequency response changes every time you move the mic or the source. Our ears are pretty good at processing out these problems in live sound, but mics have no such ability, so the problems wind up in our recordings.

At the same time low frequencies have amazing wavelengths, the low E on a standard guitar is almost 14 feet for once cycle. When these waves hit a wall they fold back on themselves, cancel and reinforce, and create pockets of booming bass next to areas with almost none, in different locations for each note.

So bigger is better, at least at the scale that most home recordists have to deal with.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog