View Single Post
Old 07-17-2022, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I first got a standard X20 to see if I would like the sound, body shape, and 25 1/2” neck. The first two were fine. The neck profile was okay, but I didn’t like stretching to accommodate the 25 1/2” scale length.

So I ordered a custom one with a 24.875” neck, and sold the stock one quickly here in the classifieds. Compared to my RainSong, the profile is similar, and just slightly more deep and full than my Taylor. In order of playing comfort (for me) the RainSong and Taylor are similar, with maybe a slight edge for the Taylor, and the X20 is third. I switch back and forth between them with no problem. Both the RainSong and Taylor are 12 frets, and I like to play them more.

The cutaway and extra frets on the Emerald make it very versatile, plus it has the Anthem pickup, so it’s an ideal instrument for performing. But as I rarely play that far up the neck, I may pass the Emerald on to my youngest son who’s a lot better guitarist then me, or even sell it.

Ideal would be if the OP could find someone close enough with an X20 to try one. Besides the neck profile, CF guitars have a different quality to their sound (which I like) compared to wood ones, and the up charges for custom scale lengths and neck profiles on Emeralds add significantly to the cost.

Also useful would be measurements of the neck depth and width, and not just the radius, compared to Taylor’s.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

Last edited by seannx; 07-17-2022 at 12:14 PM.