View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Thanks!
I guess I'm very much accustomed to a more flat radius. My 80's acoustic, '80s Ibanez electric, and TeleStrat partscaster all have something much more flat. 7.25" is certainly great for some things. Other things take some getting used to. I seem to adapt fine to different neck profiles - why not to different fretboard radius...
Fretboard radius is a funny thing. On Fender necks (or Fender TYPE necks - I've found the same thing is true with Reverends and other maple bolt on necks shaped sort of like Fenders), I'm perfectly happy with 7.25 or 9.5, but I've never been even remotely comfortable with 12". And I've tried any number of them that I WANTED to like because I liked the guitar they were bolted onto. But for some reason a 12" fretboard just feels completely wrong to me on those necks.

But I've played and owned any number of Gibson, Ibanez, Epiphone, PRS, etc necks that are 12" radius and they feel perfectly natural and great to me. And obviously my acoustics are generally 16" or flatter and I'm fine with those too, but then acoustics are really completely different instruments. But electrics shouldn't feel that different. I have no idea whey I'm fine with 12" necks on many guitars but not Fenders. It surely doesn't make sense, but I've run into it often enough that I believe it at this point.