Thread: Tour de France
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
I think I am with you in this camp. I've been watching or paying attention to bicycle racing since I started bicycle racing in the late 70's. and it's been over 10 years and -80 lbs ago that I last toed a start line. I have always accepted that the riders were getting 'help', and to think otherwise is rather naive.

However, it's gotten silly. I'm not going out of my way to watch. I didn't even watch 1 second of the Giro, nor any of the spring classics. If you asked I couldn't even tell you who won Paris-Roubaix or the Tour of Flanders and they're my favorite one day races.

If it weren't for Peter Sagan, I would probably not watch at all. And Quintana is the George Hincapie of Tour Contenders. All the talent in the world, but no killer instinct to win. Froome has the charisma of a roll of paper towels, but he get the job done. If he weren't so bland, he probably wouldn't get as much stick as he does. Love him or hate him, Armstrong was a rock star and he knew it and acted like one. That kind of thing keeps folks tuned in and interested.
I don't have anything to add but I liked the hell out of your post.