View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I've played most of the Waterloo models at one time or another and the WL-K is my favorite of the bunch by a long shot. I think it would be a fantastic guitar for the style you mentioned, as well as others.

I played one in a local shop just last week -- when I picked it up, it was tuned down to open D and I never got the sense that it was buzzy or anything of the sort. It was a lot of fun to play.

The other two Waterloo guitars I played in that visit were the WL-14 Scissortail and the WL-12 mahogany. Neither held a candle to the WL-K in terms of the volume and dimension of the tone.

There's a reason those old Kel Kroydon guitars are sought after and I think Collings did a fantastic job capturing the tone and look with the WL-K.
Thanks for the testimony, ATaylor. It's good to hear that about the open D tuning - I'll be trying that and drop D, for sure. I agree with you entirely about the tone, but as far as looks go I really prefer the more standard burst on the WL-12. I do appreciate how well they nailed the Kel Kroydon look, though.